Coca cola was invented in 1856 by Atlanta pharmacist John S. Pemberton. The name for the product was actually proposed by Pemberton’s assistant, Frank Robinson. The name was taken from the two most unusual ingredients in the drink, the South American coca leaf and the African cola nut.
The recipe for today’s Coca cola is very well guarded. Many of the ingredients are known; in addition to coca leaves and cola nut, they include lemon, orange, lime, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, caramel, and sugar. The proportions of the ingredients and the identity of Coke’s secret ingredients are known by only a few of the Coca Cola Company’s senior corporate officers.
1. The passage mainly discusses
(A). the success of the Coca Cola Company
(B). the unusual ingredients in Coca Cola
(C). John S. Pemberton
(D). Coca Cola’s recipe and who developed.
2. According in the passage, who created Coca Cola?
(A). The Coca Cola Company
(B). John S. Pemberton
(C). Pemberton’s assistant
(D). Frank Robinson
3. The word ‘unusual’ in line 3 is closest in meaning to
4. Which of the following is NOT true about the name Coca Cola?
(A). The name “coca comes from the coca leaf
(B). The name “cola” comes from the cola nut.
(C). Frank Robinson suggested the name.
(D). The inventor came up with the name.
5. A “recipe” in line 5 is
(A). information about drugs for a pharmacy
(B). a description of how to prepare something.
(C). an accounting statement.
(D). a corporate organization plan
6. The passage states than the recipe for Coca Cola is
(A). well known.
(B). known by only a limited number of people
(D). published information
7. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as an ingredient of Coca Cola?
(A). Orange leaves
(C). Citrus fruts
8. The word “secret” in line 7 could best be replaced by
9. It can be inferred from the passage that
(A). the public knows all the ingredients in Coca Cola
(B). the public is not sure that coca leaves are used in Coca Cola.
(C). the public does not know how many cola nuts are used in a batch of Coca Cola.
(D). no one knows the exact proportions of ingredients used in Coca Cola
10. The word “session” in line 8 could best be replaced by
(C). more mature
(D). really decisive
11. Where in the passage does the author mention who gave Coca Cola its name?
(A). Lines 1-2
(B). Lines 3-4
(C). Line 5
(D). Lines 7-8